- Avoid the use of Never.
- Avoid the use of Always.
- Refrain from saying you are wrong.
- You can say your idea is mistaken.
- Don't disagree with obvious truths.
- Attack the idea not the person.
- Use many rather than most.
- Avoid exaggeration.
- Use some rather than many.
- The use of often allows for exceptions.
- The use of generally allows for exceptions.
- Quote sources and numbers.
- If it is just an opinion, admit it.
- Do not present opinion as facts.
- Smile when disagreeing.
- Stress the positive.
- You do not need to win every battle to win the war.
- Concede minor or trivial points.
- Avoid bickering, quarreling, and wrangling.
- Watch your tone of voice.
- Don't win a debate and lose a friend.
- Keep your perspective - You're just debating.